Friday, March 27, 2015

Xi'An

I've had very little time to post.  Since Beijing we've done a bunch.  I will have to see what I've posted, but we took the overnight train from Beijing to Xi'An.  I thought it was very nice. I actually slept!

Here in Xi'an we've seen a museum and had a traditional hot pot.  We also went for authentic dumplings and a show.  Very long day just like we had in Beijing.  Today we took a trip to a terracotta factory to see how they make terracotta warrior replicas.  They are made just like they did in the past using the special clay found in this region and a kiln similar to what was used.  From there we visited a "local" school so the kids can see how they spend their day.  In my opinion this school was more what I imagined than when we saw a school in Guangzhou.  Poor kids had a decent school, but no heat!  They had their jackets on, but it did not phase them. 

Of course the big part of the day was visiting the Terracotta Warriors.  As one would expect it is amazing.  Simply amazing.  Such history.  To see it in person lacks in words.  Walking into Pit 1 and seeing the rows.  Seeing the details on the warriors is amazing.  Meeting the farmer who found the first piece while digging a well is cool.  We even have a picture with him.  We had a wonderful noodle lunch at the museum. 

The site seeing ended today on the ancient wall of Xi'an.  The top was resurfaced in 1984, but the wall has been in tact for about 300 years.  It even has  a mote around it!   Very cool.  You can rent bikes and ride the wall, but my doctor would not approve with my arm.  At least we got to walk around a bit. 

I'll post when I can.  We tour another museum here tomorrow, then we fly to Chengdu tomorrow! 

No comments: